Sunday, May 18, 2014

Turkish Delight!

This morning is a bit sad because its time to say bye to Jeff, and also its way too early in the morning.  But I’m not going to lie I’m pretty excited because we are heading to Turkey today, somewhere that I have always wanted to go. 

The flight over was pretty great, the food on the flight was actual food, like not the usual weird airplane food that is sort of in the shape of something resembling food, but this was actual good food. 

Asan just laughed at me and said oh just wait, you will be doing a lot of eating in Turkey.  My inner fat kid is very happy right now, and at this rate my outer fat kid might be making a re-appearance…

Because Asan is fancy we were able to go through the fast track border control and we hopped in a cab to head to Asan’s aunt’s house where we will be staying while we are here. 




We got there and the view is just gorgeous!




There is a tiny island out in the middle that was used in one of the James Bond movies, the one with Sophie Marceau where she was like missing an ear or something...













We got changed quickly and headed out to dinner with all of Asan’s cousins, at this Steakhouse called Nusr-et.  There were about 10 of us at first, and anyone who knows me knows that I can be a bit shy in big groups, but his family couldn’t have been more friendly and welcoming. 

They were all excited that it was my first time in Istanbul so they just ordered everything on the menu basically, and I mean EVERYTHING!

There is a joke in Turkey that you order “a little, little in the middle” meaning that you order a little bit of everything and it goes in the middle of the table for everyone to share.  But it wasn’t a little, everything was A LOT, and so amazing…

 

These first couple photos are from the Internet because I was too busy shoveling food in my mouth to take any pictures...

They carve everything table side and serve it to you, it was very fancy...


This was a carpaccio, but when ours came out it had a huge steak on top of it that was amazing...





Here is when I remembered to start taking photos of what we were actually eating.  But it was all so good, I got distracted!




I just kept eating and eating…that waiter is carving up a huge rack of lamb...



And this was beef cooked in butter and bread, it came to the table and the smell of hot butter almost knocked me over, it was amazing!



I was so unbelievably full and the food just kept coming and coming, but look at this stuff, I mean how can you say no to that!



We ended the night with some baklava with ice cream and Turkish coffee because you know I haven’t eaten enough already.





All in all amazing first night and first experience in Turkey, dinner and drinks with great people. 








Now I am going into a food coma, because oy! How do you say Tums in Turkish?

No comments:

Post a Comment